Wednesday, March 9, 2011

foundation faves

Alright ladies. This is, in my humble opinion, the MOST important thing you put on your face. 
There is nothing worse than a cakey, miss-matched, too orange looking foundation. Again, you have one face and it's what people stare at all day long. Since it's so important I literally have tried almost every foundation Sephora has to offer. If you take care of your skin the less foundation you will have to wear. Even if you have perfect skin it's still important to wear some foundation. It evens out your skin tone and some even have SPF in them so it's protecting your skin from those evil rays. Also a little PSA from me- Before you put on foundation have a clean face (I've already recommended you fabulous face wash products) and put on moisturizer (I will get to those eventually). 

1. Bobbi Brown- Moisture Rich Foundation SPF 15 $45.00
This could be my most favorite foundation on the planet.  It's medium coverage but extremely moisturizing it seriously feels like you're applying moisturizer on. It smells amazing and blends into your skin flawlessly. It adds a bit of a dewy moist look- it makes your skin look healthy.  I love this stuff for the Spring/Summer months when you need a little lighter coverage. Use sparingly the bottle will last you a long time. If you have a lot of acne/scars it may not be the most ideal foundation you might want to try another one of my favorites for that.  I do believe they have an oil free formulation you can give that one a shot. They sell it at Sephora online but not at the stores (wtf right?!!!) If it's the first time you're buying it you can get it at Saks or Nordstroms and they lovely ladies there will match your shade (again, EXTREMELY important). I love all Bobbi Brown products. I feel they enhance natural beauty. MAC has its place in life (mainly for the nightlife) but it's stage makeup....don't wear that stuff everyday.




2.  Laura Mercier- Silk Creme Foundation $42.00
I will never forget the day I came across this gem of a product. I needed a bit more coverage and a lighter shade since it was winter. I read reviews online like crazy and there were a few products that I wanted to try at Sephora. This product still blows me away. It's more medium to full coverage but silky smooth and not cakey at all. If you have zits or scars (don't feel bad we're all human and get them) this product is your savior. You can get it at Sephora and ask for samples they will let you take a few colors home to try before you make the purchase. This tube lasts forever as well. The key with all these products is just use them sparingly. You want to ENHANCE your skin not plaster stuff on it. Nothing is less attractive than when you can see layers of foundation on a face. Please at least go to Sephora and try this foundation out! It might be a bit heavy for summer but if you need a heavier foundation this is the best one on the market.



3. Make Up Forever- HD Foundation $40.00
For some reason I didn't believe the hype behind this brand or product until I caved in (as you will learn is not too hard for me to do). This foundation might not be great for oily skin types but on my skin it was amazing. It's more of a light to medium coverage (a little less than Bobbi Brown and way less than Laura Mercier) It claims it's HD (not sure if my pictures look any different when I wear it) BUT this is the one foundation that when I put it on everyone thinks I'm not wearing any foundation at all.  Love! So if super natural clean looking face is what you're looking for....this is my recommendation for you.  Again, Sephora carries this wonderful line. 



4. L'Oreal- True Match Super Blendable Makeup SPF 17 $7.00 (wow!!!)
I'm a product snob. I admit it. Once in awhile though (especially when grocery shopping) I do venture into their beauty product aisle. This L'Oreal product I really do love. I think it blends in perfectly into your skin and leaves a nice dewy look. If you have oily skin it might not be the best product for you. They have tons of shades but since it's not Sephora you can't get samples....BUT the price is right so you could buy two and mix them together to make your own perfect shade! This product is really great and although I do prefer the ones listed above this one is always in my beauty bag!



A little trick for the Summer/Winter months when you need to darken or lighten your foundation color is just mixing two together. It gets pricey when they cost $40.00....so I will buy the L'Oreal foundation and mix it in with the Bobbi Brown, trust me, it works! Or for summer you can buy a liquid bronzer and mix it in with your regular foundation....don't be scared!
Also, if your foundation is too thick and you want to thin it out just mix your foundation with a bit of your favorite moisturizer. The foundation will thin out and blend in beautifully with your skin!

xx

Liz


6 comments:

  1. Hey Liz! Okay, so I've always used Bobbi Brown and LOVE it...just wish it wasn't so expensive. Have you ever tried Origins foundation? I use their lotion and have been tempted to try their foundation but thought I'd try to get some feedback first...thanks! Love the blog;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    I hate the price of it too! Unfortunately, I've never tried the Origins foundation (but now of course you have me wanting to!) I do love their moisturizers and serums (and the smell!!!!) I looked online to see the reviews on their foundations and they seem to be positive! I would go to the Origins counter and ask them to be able to take a sample home (tell them you're choosing between brands) that way you can test it out a bit before you make a full on commitment!
    The L'Oreal foundation I recommended is similar to Bobbi Brown at a waaaaay better price! You may find it's a little thick but just mix some of your moisturizer in with it! Or put it on your face and if you can tell you're wearing foundation put moisturizer on after you put your foundation on. I know that sounds weird but it will help blend it in and you'll look flawless!
    I wish I had tried the Origins foundation to be able to answer your concern...but please feel free to ask more questions, I'd love to try and help!

    xx

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies - the Bobbi Brown foundation is SO worth it! I make Liz do my make-up EVERY time we hang out together and she always uses BB. Then I got a bottle of my own (thanks to Bits herself!) and it's seriously amazing! Go get it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like I always say....you only have one face- treat it well. Glad you're loving the Bobbi I seriously can't live without it!

    xx

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz,

    Becky shared your blog with me and I can't stop reading!!! Love it! Also, I've been wanting to try a new foundation and will definitely be sampling Bobbi Brown. Thanks so much for sharing. This tired, mom of two could use some beauty advice!

    Nadia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nadia!
    Glad you're reading- hearing people actually read it keeps me motivated to keep posting :)
    You will LOVE Bobbi Brown. You have amazing skin as it is so it will glide on perfectly and you will be hooked. It took me about five years to convince B and actually purchasing it for her but I think she's finally sold, ha!
    Have fun with your kiddos they are absolutely precious!

    xx

    Liz

    ReplyDelete